Monday, November 7, 2011

soup day

It was the perfect cold, snowy day for soup. This one is from the healthy soup class that I took recently and it's SO good--husband (who was at best leery of trying this) loved it. Here's the recipe along with a few changes I made. Enjoy!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH, PUMPKIN, AND APPLE SOUP

1 medium butternut squash cut in half
(I used the pre-cut ready to go squash from Costco...so much easier!)
1 TB olive oil
3 cups peeled, chopped apples
1/4 cup shallots minced
1/2 cup leek sliced
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp fresh rosemary
1 (15 oz can) pumpkin
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3/4 tsp salt
(who knew this would be SO important--tasted it at the end and realized how it needed "something" and that was the salt that I forgot)
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1-2 pinches cayenne
(we like the heat- I used 1/2 tsp.)
Black pepper to taste
Pumpkin Seeds

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place butternut squash, cut side down, on prepared baking paper. Bake for 40 minutes until tender. Let cool for 20 minute or until cool enough to handle. Scoop our 1 cup pulp reserving remainder for another use.
Since my squash was already cut; I poured in a cup  or so in a baking pan, added a little butter and roasted it the same way. Super easy. I also used the heated oven for toasting my pumpkin seeds...watch out because they can burn easy!

2.In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add apples, shallots, leek and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in rosemary.

3. In blender or food processor, puree the squash, apple mixture, and pumpkin.
I actually used an immersion blender on the mixture after adding the vegetable stock with the other items in the pot...quick and easy.

4. Return puree to Dutch oven. Slowly add vegetable broth, curry powder, salt, cayenne and black pepper, stirring until well combined. Cook over medium heat until well combined.  Cook until heated through. Add toasted pumpkin seeds to soup to garnish for serving.

Lots of anti-oxidants, vitamins, fiber and other good for you at this time of year ingredients.

1 comment:

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

ooh looks yummy. I am putting this on my Pinterest! I can't wait to try your recipe.