Wednesday, March 30, 2011

let's share


I find it fascinating what the kids in my small group reading feel the need to share. In the last week :


"My mom used to work at Albertson's in the bakery but then she went to jail."


"I can't wait until Friday because that's when mom gets her food stamps and I'm going to eat all day."


"My two moms and I love lox and cream cheese! That's Jew food!"


Seriously.


Stories like these and more come tumbling out in regards to some story we're reading and are said in pure honesty with no underlying motive except to share a part of their life. The honesty and openness throws me (when does it cross the line to TMI?) but the response from the other kids always makes me appreciate the non-judgement of elementary school kids: "really? your mom's in jail?" or "two moms?! what's Jewish?" and then I usually switch back to the story so the rest of the class time isn't sucked into the life and times of third grade students. They'll be plenty of time for that in high school.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I love that about kids! :)

Yesterday one our adult students told me about her ex who is in jail and how she is raising her 3 year old granddaughter. And that her daughter was 15 when she had her. All I could say was, "Wow! that's a lot of info."

Jessica said...

I love that kids are always so open and honest.

P.S. We are having a giveaway on our blog to celebrate its first birthday. Would love for our to enter.
http://sunnydaystarrynight.blogspot.com