Monday, May 31, 2010

let summer begin

This will be the summer of trying new recipes.
On Saturday I made California pizzas from Ina Garten (yep; I made the dough into little pizza pies) and you can add your choice of vegetables, fresh mozzarella, turkey sausage, and the husband requested anchovies. gross. Easy to prepare and delicious ...a keeper (although I will have to invite friends over next time...the recipe makes a lot of pizza).
For Memorial Day Monday I decided to go classic Americana and make fried chicken. Seriously. Can you believe it?



The last time I ate fried chicken has got to be 20+ years ago. We were in Grand Lake, Colorado at Dougal's Cafe where they serve you family style...really good; but not something I ever attempted in my kitchen. It was a Food Network recipe and it was tasty. The chicken was really moist and tender and something different for us. Are you a southern fried cooking sort of family? We really don't eat too much fried food so for me to attempt this was *crazy* but it turned out really well.


Going further on the "classic" start to Summer we finished the night off with strawberry blackberry shortcake from Joy the Baker.


Tomorrow we'll be looking for some nice, new SALAD recipes so we can fit in our summer clothes.

1 comment:

Callie Grayson said...

mmm love fried chicken. My grandmother made the best.
I haven't had it in sooo long. I may have to try this some soon. now that my mouth is watering
xx
callie