Friday, November 23, 2012

the mother win


(from the 2007 archives...)

This has to be one of my favorites. It is a warm, soft, buttery color that you can almost taste on the tip of your tongue with the curves of a big, bosomy woman that you want to hug till there's nothing left to hug...perfection.
She's designed by Ralph Widdicombe, a nephew of John Widdicomb of the Widdicomb Furniture Company. For 50+ years all Widdicomb furniture was designed by Ralph until his retirement in 1951 and Mr. Widdicombe (who always retained the old English spelling of his name ending with an "e") was the first to introduce the United States to the French Provincial designs of furniture....go Ralph!
I bought this from a wonderful ebayer, Bleu Gardenia (bleugardenia), who also had a store I believe in Newport Beach, CA. I had dropped my dear airedale terrier, Zoe, off at a specialized animal hospital to be operated on for hip dysplasia (long story short...she's great today...full of herself and a fool in general) and stopped by the Bleu Gardenia store to collect the piece and travel back to Arizona. The dresser was at the owner's son's home (the views were fabulous...in the hills) and unfortunately she was too long to fit in the back of my Jeep Cherokee. She would have to be sent.
.............................................................................................................................
Shipping furniture is a real drag. It's expensive, takes forever, and you never really know who you're dealing with. In this case, I was lucky. The dresser arrived perfectly, weighs about 200 pounds, and now holds some of my husband's prized possessions of his family history. We call her "mother"...I walk by her everyday and smile...I just want to hug her.

No comments: