Sunday, November 11, 2007

A promise is a promise


While giving birth to my much anticipated new book and business, lifestyle website for tweens, and adventures of The Cupcakes Club, I have been faced with the daunting task of legal-ess-ness.
I'm not sure that's actually a word, or if there's a better word, but right now I'm claiming it. It's crazy. This is how frickin lawyers who make lots of money make lots of money. You have to constantly be covering your butt. Trademarks, copyrights, contracts, terms and conditions, privacy policies...it's just so crazy. And I, my friends, am not the kind of girl who likes to haggle over a contract like one does while buying a hand woven blanket in Mexico.
Whatever happened to the days of "a deal is a deal" or "I'll ride this train with you and we'll split everything if we make any money" or "why would somebody take that if it's not theirs?"...color me naive, color me rose-color glasses but how sweet those days must have been.
Have you ever seen the movie "It could happen to You" with Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda? If you have, you know where I'm at. Most favorite and memorable quote...
" A promise is a promise" ...when the cop promises the waitress one half of his unknown lottery ticket in exchange for a tip and it turns out to be a 4 million dollar winner...will he? won't he? Rent it and find out. We all like a happy ending and I suppose you've gotta go through the trials and tribulations to really appreciate it in the end. See you on The Cupcakes Club very soon!

No comments: